Majadra: Another Good Carb Recipe!
A delicious Middle Eastern dish made of rice and lentils. Rich in fiber and protein.
1 cup green lentils (brown lentils)
1 1/2 cups long grain rice (basmati or brown rice)
2 medium/large onions, diced
Black pepper, freshly ground
2-4 tablespoons canola oil
3-3 1/2 cups water
1. Rinse rice to rid of starch and let it drain in a sieve.
2. Rinse lentils in cold water, add to a pot, cover with 4 cups of water, bring to a boil, turn down and cook on low/medium until soft, but still retaining their shape.
3. On medium heat, sauté onions in 2-4 tablespoons of canola oil until soft and translucent.
4. Add the rice to the onions. Continue sautéing rice and onions while mixing gently for few minutes.
5. Add 3 cups of water, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
6. Gently mix lentils in with the rice and immediately reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and cook until liquid evaporates. If you feel it needs more liquid as the lentils absorb some as well, sprinkle more water over the rice.
Cook on low, covered until all liquid is absorbed. Let sit for 10-20 minutes with lid on or serve immediately.