Black Bean & Mushroom Enchilada Casserole
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces sliced button mushrooms
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce, divided
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (pepper jack or Mexican blend are good options too)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Place beans and broth in a blender or food processor; blend until thick and saucy, about 10 seconds.
- Heat oil in a medium pan over medium heat; add onion, cumin, oregano, paprika and salt; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms begin to release their liquid, about 2 minutes. Add the pureed beans and simmer, stirring frequently, until thickened slightly, around 5 minutes.
- Place tortillas on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on High until the tortillas are pliable, about 1 minute.
- Spread 1/4 cup enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish. Add about 1/3 cup black bean filling to each tortilla; roll and assemble, seam-side down, tightly in the casserole dish.
- Pour the remaining 3/4 cup enchilada sauce over the enchiladas, spooning the sauce onto the tortillas so they're completely covered. Top with cheese. Cover with foil and bake until melted and bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Once cooked remove and let cool for a few minutes. Serve with avocado and cilantro.