Curry powder is a mixture of spices with a bright golden hue and a complex flavor. Because of the combination of spices, curry powder may offer a variety of health benefits including anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants.
Here is a plant-based recipe with curry that combines all of these nutritious benefits.
Cook Time: 20 mins
- 1 white onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 350 g packaged firm tofu, cubed
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- White or brown basmati rice, for serving
1. Rinse the rice under cold water for 2 minutes and cook it using your preferred method
2. Add 2 tbsp of oil, water or broth to a large skillet with the diced onion, garlic and carrot. Cook for 6-7 minutes over medium heat, stirring often, until starting to soften and become fragrant.
3. Add the zucchini and red pepper and stir to combine, adding a bit more cooking liquid if the pan is drying out.
4. Add the tomato paste, curry powder, turmeric and salt and cook for a few more minutes, stirring to combine.
5. Add the vegetable broth and coconut milk and simmer lightly until the carrots are tender and it’s thick and creamy, about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally as it cooks.
6. Stir in the peanut butter, cilantro and cubed tofu and cook for a few more minutes until the peanut butter is combined and the tofu is heated through.
7. Serve over the cooked rice and Enjoy!