Potatoes Without Guilt - Hooray!
Irish Mashed Potatoes
This dish brings together four of the most amazing ingredients – potatoes, cabbage, kale and bacon to make a very filling and delicious side dish.
This is a well-balanced recipe that contains different nutrients like starches from potatoes, fiber from kale and cabbage, protein from bacon and fat from butter and cream. It goes so well with our Tri Tip roast for the holiday!
Prep time: 20 mins
Total Time: 1 hour
Servings: 8 to 10
- 1 lb. red potatoes
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 cup cabbage shredded
- 1 cup kale shredded
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Cut, but do not peel, the potatoes into one-inch cubes. Place the potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil.
- Boil the potatoes until they are easily pierced with a fork (about 10 minutes). Drain the potatoes in a colander.
- While the potatoes are cooking, cook the bacon. Chop the bacon and cook it in a large skillet on medium high until nice and crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon pieces from the skillet, but keep the fat.
- Prepare the cabbage and kale by cutting it into thin strips. You will have 1 cup of cabbage and 1 cup of kale. Also mince the garlic. Add 1 tablespoons of butter, garlic, cabbage and kale to the now empty skillet and cook until wilted for 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes to the skillet with cabbage and kale. Now add 1 tablespoon butter, heavy cream, salt and pepper, and bring to a light boil. Using a potato masher, mash and stir potatoes until smooth and thoroughly incorporated with cabbage and kale. Add the bacon pieces back to the skillet and taste to see if more seasoning is necessary.
- Serve warm and enjoy!