Prep time: 30 min
Total time: 25 mins
This month we talked about fiber foods and its importance for our body and health. With this tasty vegan paella, we can increase that fiber intake and incorporate plant-based foods in our diet. Enjoy!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 100g swiss mushrooms, quartered
- 4 white/flat mushrooms, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped in squares
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Large pinch of saffron threads
- 1 1/2 cups medium-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 4 mini bell peppers, halved lengthways, seeds removed
- 1 cup edamame, thawed, peeled
- 125g cherry tomatoes, halved
- Lemon wedges (of 1 lemon), to serve
Heat oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until starting to brown.
Add garlic, paprika, oregano, parsley and saffron. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
Add rice. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomato paste. Stir to combine. Add stock. Bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Top with bell pepper. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle with edamame. Cook, covered for a further 5 minutes or until rice is tender.
Top with tomato and sprinkle with extra oregano and parsley.
Serve with lemon wedges.