Butternut Squash Spinach Pasta
Fall is finally here, and we have a nutrient-packed recipe to start off this season. Butternut squash is becoming more and more popular, and for good reason; it’s delicious and nutritious. This squash has enough Vitamin A in just one serving to cover your entire day! Vitamin A is a powerful antioxidant that plays a role in maintaining healthy vision, neurological function and healthy skin. It also reduces inflammation through fighting free radical damage and supports immune function.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 5-7 cups butternut squash, cubed (it cuts prep time and makes it easier)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 cups pasta (you can use a gluten-free one if there is any gluten-sensitivity)
- 2 onion, diced
- 8 oz fresh, organic spinach
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- toasted pine nuts and parsley, for garnishing
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Arrange the cubed butternut squash pieces on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until the squash starts to turn golden, about 15-20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions.
4. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the minced garlic, and salt over medium heat. Add the diced onion and sauté until translucent. Next, add the broth, vegan parmesan cheese, and red pepper flakes. Simmer over low heat to combine the flavors.
5. Drain the pasta, then add it to the skillet.
6. Finally add the butternut squash and spinach to the skillet, cooking for a few more minutes until the spinach begins to wilt.
7. Serve with toasted pine nuts, and parsley!