Harvest Recipes, Meat-Free!
We are officially in the midst of the Fall harvest season. In keeping with the spirit of the fall season, I would like to share a few recipes that are based on this season’s produce. These recipes are easy and quick. They are meat-free recipes that are good sources of protein.
Quinoa and chickpea salad with pumpkin seeds and herbs
This dish can be served as a main course or as a side dish.
Serves 2 as a main, 4 as a side
1 red onion, peeled and cut into 1 inch-wide wedges
⅓ cup olive oil
Salt and black pepper
½ cup red (or white) quinoa
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
1½ tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons basil leaves, roughly shredded
2 tablespoons parsley leaves, roughly chopped
1 ripe avocado, peeled and cut into small cubes
- Heat the oven to 425F. Mix the onion wedges half the oil, a pinch of salt and pepper. Line an oven tray with parchment paper. Lay out the onions on the parchment paper and roast for 15 minutes, until soft and caramelized, then remove and cool.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil, add the quinoa and cook for 16 minutes (10 if using white), until cooked with some bite. Drain, then cool.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry frying pan on a medium heat for five to six minutes, shaking the pan frequently, until puffed up and starting to color, then tip out into a small bowl and leave to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk the lemon juice, remaining oil, a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the chickpeas, then gently crush about half of them with a spatula – this will help them absorb the other flavors better.
- Add the onion, quinoa, pumpkin seeds, herbs and avocado, toss to combine and serve.
Spiced pumpkin lentil and goat's cheese salad
3/4 cup green lentils or buy precooked lentils
6 cups 1-inch pieces peeled seeded sugar pumpkin or butternut squash
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon hot smoked Spanish paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups baby arugula or mixed salad greens
1 cup soft goat cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup thinly sliced mint leaves
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Place lentils in small bowl. Cover with boiling water and soak 10 minutes; drain. Cook lentils in boiling salted water until tender but firm, about 30 minutes. Drain lentils. Rinse under cold water, then drain.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place pumpkin in large bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons oil, cumin, paprika, and sea salt. Arrange pumpkin in single layer on baking sheet; roast 20 minutes. Turn pumpkin over. Roast until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool.
- Combine lentils, pumpkin, and oil from baking sheet with arugula, half of goat cheese, mint, vinegar, and 1 tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide among plates; sprinkle remaining goat cheese over.