Jicama Mango Salad
Prep time: 10 mins
Total time: 25 mins
The weather is changing and as the days get warmer, we crave foods that are refreshing as well as nutritious. This jicama salad is packed with all fruits and veggies which provide a lot of vitamins and minerals. It’s great side-dish to accompany grilled meats or fish, pairing well with Mexican, Caribbean or even Asian flavors.
- 1 large jicama
- 2 mangos (not too soft, to prevent disintegration)
- 1 tomato
- ¼ cup sliced red onions
- ¼ cup cilantro (or parsley)
- 2 limes
- ½ avocado
- ½ tbsp salt
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Chili flakes, or cucumber are optional.
- Using a sharp veggie peeler, peel mangos and jicama. Slice mangos into ½-inch thick slices or wedges. Cut jicama into ¼-inch thick matchsticks about 2-inches long. Cut the avocado in slices.
- If using cucumber, cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and cut into long strips, then cut into 2-inch matchsticks.
- Thinly slice the tomato into strips.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl with the sliced onions and cilantro.
- Zest one of the limes and add it to the bowl.
Juice the limes and add juice to the bowl with the salt and chili flakes and gently toss. Taste. Adjust lime, salt, and chili flakes. Serve cold.