Summer Lunch Recipe from the Mediterranean Diet
In my last blog post i discussed the Mediterranean Diet and its health benefits including its positive effects on mental health. At Psynergy, our menus are based on this healthy diet’s principals.
In today’s post, I would like to offer an easy and delicious recipe based on the Mediterranean Diet that is perfect for a summer lunch. Enjoy!
Chickpea and fresh vegetable salad with Greek yogurt dressing (vegetarian)
32 oz dried chickpeas or 1 can of chickpeas
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 small cucumbers (10oz)
2 large tomatoes (10oz)
1 small red onion, peeled
8 oz radishes
1 red pepper, seeds and pith removed
1oz cilantro leaves and stems, roughly chopped
1 oz flat-leaf parsley, picked and roughly chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
Grated zest of 2 lemons, plus ¼ cup lemon juice
2 tbsp sherry vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp sugar
Salt and black pepper
1 tsp ground cardamom
1½ tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cumin
¼ cup Greek yoghurt
1. If using dry chickpeas- Soak overnight in a large bowl of cold water and the bicarb. The following day, drain and place in a large pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for an hour, skimming off any foam, until cooked tender, then drain.
2. Cut the cucumber, tomato, onion, radish and pepper into 0.5 inch pieces, and mix with the cilantro and parsley.
3. In a jar, make the veggie dressing - mix ¼ cup olive oil with the lemon juice and zest, vinegar, garlic and sugar, shake and season to taste. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss lightly.
4. Spice mix for the chickpeas- Mix the spices together -cardamom, allspice, cumin and a pinch of salt - and then spread out on a plate. Toss the cooked chickpeas in the spice mixture in batches, to coat well.
5. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and over medium heat lightly fry the chickpeas for two to three minutes, gently shaking the pan so they cook evenly and don't stick. Keep warm.
6. Plate the dressed veggie salad as the base, add a layer of the warm chickpeas and then drizzle the Greek yoghurt on top to add a finishing creamy touch to the dish. Enjoy!