Summer orzo with lamb and feta
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 4 servings
6 ounces lean ground lamb
1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary
2 cups diced cherry tomatoes
2 tablespoons chopped, pitted black olives
Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
12 ounces orzo
¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Cook lamb in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain in a sieve set over a bowl.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, cinnamon, and rosemary. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add lamb. Let it cook.
3. Puree tomatoes and their juices in a food processor until smooth. Add to the lamb mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in olives. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Meanwhile, cook orzo until just tender, about 8 minutes or according to package directions.
5. Add orzo as a base and on top place the lamb with the sauce. Serve garnished with feta.
Combine this dish with a Mediterranean salad to create healthy, balanced meal.