Tofu stir fry with broccoli and bell peppers
Prep time: 20 min
Total time: 40 mins
Plant-based proteins are great sources of nutrients. Tofu is a plant-based protein and excellent source of iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and isoflavones.
Research has linked tofu, with its high levels of isoflavones, to a lower risk of several age-and lifestyle-related diseases.
Here is a tasty way to incorporate this plant-based protein into your diet and get all the benefits it has to offer.
- 1 lb. (500 g) extra-firm tofu
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 2 Tbs. tamari (Japanese sauce)
- 1 Tbs. nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/3 cup (3 fl. oz./80 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 Tbs. sweet red chile sauce
- 1 Tbs. Asian sesame oil
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped garlic
- 1 Tbs. peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 lb. (250 g) broccoli florets, cut into 1 1/2-inch (4-cm) pieces
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch (12-mm) strips
- Steamed brown jasmine rice for serving
1. Drain the tofu, wrap it in paper towels, place a heavy plate on top and let stand for 10 minutes to press out the excess liquid. Cut the pressed tofu into 1-inch (2.5-cm) cubes. In a nonstick fry pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 1/2 tsp. of the canola oil.
2. Add the tofu and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown all over, 10 minutes; remove from the pan.
3. Return the pan to medium-high heat and add 1 1/2 tsp. of the canola oil. Return the tofu to the pan and sprinkle it with 2 tsp. of the tamari and the nutritional yeast. Cook, reducing the heat if necessary and turning with tongs occasionally, until the tofu is coated and crispy, 2 minutes.
4. Set aside.
5. Put the cornstarch in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in the remaining 4 tsp. tamari, the orange juice, chile sauce and sesame oil.
6. In a wok or large, deep sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm the remaining 1 Tbs. canola oil. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry until aromatic, 20 seconds. Add the broccoli and bell pepper and stir-fry until the broccoli is bright green, 2 minutes. Add 2 Tbs. water, cover and steam until the broccoli is crisp-tender, 2 minutes. Uncover the wok, add the orange juice mixture and stir-fry until the sauce is bubbly, 1 minute. Fold in the tofu. Serve immediately with the rice. Serves 4.